We are looking for someone to fill the position of Event Manager and Volunteer Coordinator. This is a part-time position leading up to the Fringe Festival and full-time during the festival weeks. During the lead up to the festival you would be working independently, mostly through email during whatever hours work for you.
- Love of theatre, more specifically Fringe theatre
- Knowledge of the Nanaimo Fringe Festival and/or other Fringe Festivals around the world.
- Ability to work in a team but also independently; self-motivation during prep is essential.
- Some technical theatre knowledge.
- Knowledge of WordPress or other website editors.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Recruit Volunteers and contact previous volunteers
- Create and Post Sign Up Calendar on Facebook Page/Website
- After Festival, send out Feedback form to hear from Volunteers
- Make a Volunteer appreciation aspect (has been a draw for a prize in the past)
- Keep track of T-shirt sizes
- Plan and facilitate orientation sessions
- Give the volunteers at least 2 different dates/times to choose from.
- Run Orientation: Talk about what Fringe is/what Volunteering means
- Give a demo/explain the Box Office system
- Help manage poster & program distribution
- Prep Box Office packages at the start of each day
- Keep track of buttons/ button sales
- Meet each Volunteer at their first shift, give them their Box Office supplies and give a refresher on POS system.
- Pick up Box office packages once the shows have begun and replace with new float
- Run the Box Office as necessary
- Assist with patron needs
- Count up and settle all ticket sales/money at the end of each day
- Assist with voting and tally for Pick of the Fringe
- Contact past Billets with this year’s Festival info
- Recruit new billets through website, Facebook and in other creative ways
- Organize billets perks and setup which artists go to which billets.
- Help find a venue for our Fringe Hub
- Contact the owners/managers about hosting us
- Work with GM/Board to plan Award Night/Party
- Be a contact for any problems or questions
- Facilitate volunteer t-shirt ordering: sizing, colours, styles
- Distribute t-shirts to volunteers
- Help find and secure Venues for the Festival
- Be the contact between the Venues and Fringe before/during/after the Festival
- Meet with venues to go over rental terms/contracts
- Find/hire technicians for duration of Festival
- Be present and assist on Set up days/Tech times until things are up and running
- Check in with Techs throughout the festival, help them if issues come up
- Run the Instagram account
- Help circulate posts/post information on Facebook/Twitter
- Create and grow connections with artists/other festivals
The Event Manager/ Volunteer Coordinator works closely with the General Manager and duties between the two can be flexible.
Start date: flexible start date, with support from the outgoing Event Manager during the transition.
Compensation: $3,000 honorarium annually. Payment is broken out into $1,000 payments, the last being immediately after the festival closes. You would be hired as a self-employed independent contractor.
To apply: submit a cover letter and resume as one PDF file here by March 30th.