– NANAIMO FRINGE FESTIVAL –
FESTIVAL RUNS: August 12 – 22nd, 2021
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 31st, 2021
Please note that due to COVID-19, we will only be accepting applications from British Columbia based Artists in 2021. Artists submitting this application will perform an in-person show at the Nanaimo Fringe (Public Health guidance permitting), if selected in the lottery draw. We will be offering live-stream capabilities, but are aiming for an in-person event that can also incorporate this technology if required/desired.
National or International artists can apply for our digital-only festival component. More Info here.
LOTTERY RESULTS ANNOUNCED: April 2nd, 2021
- A friendly & innovative festival event in Vancouver Island’s Hub City of Nanaimo
- 6 scheduled performances (fewer with significant scheduling conflicts)
- Basic outfitted venue (for in-person presentations with Live-Stream options available )
- One technician, front of house management
- Box office volunteers, at-door and advance ticket service (pending Public Health guidance)
- Up to 3 hours technical rehearsal
- A listing in our program (with short description and graphic)
- Blanket festival promotion
- Local media contact list
- 100% Box office receipts (you are responsible for ensuring your company pays all applicable taxes on revenue generated)
- A fully produced (in-person) show, ready to be seen by an audience
- An email address and contact person we can reach on a regular basis
- Tech and promotional details. Questionnaires and deadlines will be provided.
- All your food, travel, work permit (if required), production, royalty, union fees, and artist fee expenses (including relevant tax fees)
- Your own show-specific promotional materials (posters, flyers, media releases), distributed by you
- Any specialty technical equipment (including projectors, monitors, lapel mics, pianos, keyboards, fog machines, etc.)
- 60 min run time is recommended. Up to 70 min is permitted.
- For each performance, companies are given 15min of setup, 15min for the audience to load in (additional setup can happen during audience load in) and 15min for the audience to load out and strike. These timeframes are subject to change to allow for necessary COVID-19 procedures.
- The total Festival Fee is $225. $25 of this fee is a non-refundable application fee. All applications need to pay the non-refundable fee of $25 to be entered in the lottery. If selected at the lottery, groups will be invoiced the remaining $200, to be paid within 7 days.
- Payment of the application fee ($25) needs to be received by March 31st, 2021.
- We cannot guarantee visiting companies free accommodations in Nanaimo, but we will do our best to arrange billets for as many people as we can, pending Public Health guidance.
- Canadian Association of Fringe Festivals – we usually accept 1 group from the Touring Lottery. However, CAFF deferred its 2020 winners to 2021 and will not be holding a lottery this fall. You can find more information on the CAFF Touring Lottery here.
- Lottery – On April 2nd we will hold a lottery to select artists for the 2021 Nanaimo Fringe Festival. Usually 50% of the spots go to local groups, 25% go to other Canadian groups and 25% go to International groups. Due to COVID, the 2021 Nanaimo Fringe will feature only artists residing in B.C., with 50% based locally and 50% based elsewhere in the province. The lottery will also include a Cultural Artist category for the second year running.
- We accept up to 11 groups per festival. Once we fill those initial spots we continue to select groups to go into the wait-list.
Withdrawal deadline: May 1, 2021.
- In light of COVID-19, we have extended our withdrawal deadline. If you notify us in writing of your intention to withdraw on or before May 1st, the $200 participation fee will be refunded. After this date your fees are non-refundable.
- If we are forced to cancel your show due to COVID-19, we will refund any affected artists 100% of their $200 participation fee (with the exception of those who received artist bursaries from partner organizations).